Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Lens Of A Combat Cameraman

Im teaching these kids 'the fist bump'

The Future of Afghanistan... -- From the Jersey Shore to the Afghanistan Border

Children. I loveeee children. I can't wait to have some of my own but I can wait. Well I feel horrible for the kids around here. When we walk through the streets all they ask for is a pen. They say "pen pen pen" and probably don't know what it means but they get taught to ask for pens. Some of the kids do know what it means. Some of those kids just want a pen to go to school with.

In the states we grow up asking for iPads, laptops, iPods, new clothes, and the latest gadgets out there but in this country all these kids ask for are pens. Breaks my heart. Some of them don't even have shoes. The tough thing is keeping a balance. Yes I can give a little boy a pen because I carry extra but when you have 20+ kids asking you for pens I just don't have enough for all of them and I don't want them fighting for one pen so I don't give any away. I told my mother this and she is now sending me a bunch of pencils. How sweet of her.

Read more ....

My Comment: Hat Tip to Grovert for giving me a heads-up on this blog. He summarizes it perfectly ....

..... If you'd like to see/know what the photographer of the above photo goes through during his deployment to Afghanistan check out his blog. He shows you through his images his daily challenges from start to the end in April of 2012 all in his blog. http://somephotog.blogspot.com​/

No comments: