Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Marine Reflects On What A Decade Of War Has Cost Americans.

Reuters

Wounded In Iraq: A Marine's Story -- The Atlantic

Five years after a gunshot changed his life, the author reflects on what a decade of war has cost Americans.

I cry whenever I think of a memorial service I attended in Iraq. From the back of the hot, packed room next to the chaplain's office, I looked down the center aisle and saw six sets of boots, rifles, helmets, and dog tags. Six Americans had lost their lives defending their country. I had seen these Marines hug each other before heading out on patrol -- real hugs, as if they guessed they might not see each other again. They had been in Iraq for a while and knew how dangerous every mission was.

Read more
....

My Comment: A personal but poignant commentary .... read it all.

No comments: