Saturday, January 7, 2012

Calls To Correct Misspelled Name On Vietnam Wall

The name of Stephen H. Phillips is misspelled on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. Raju Chebium, Gannett

Vets Want Misspelled Name Corrected On Vietnam Wall -- USA Today

Sgt. Stephen Hiett Phillips of Springfield, Mo., was 23 and about to become a father when he died, two days after arriving in Vietnam in July 1965.

His name, like thousands of others, is carved in stone on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C.

Except that his first name is misspelled.

On the wall, it reads "SHEPHEN".

Read more
....

My Comment: When the tombstone was erected for my father, I also noticed that while his name was spelled correctly in English, his name in Cyrillic Russian was not. I was told that it was OK .... who would know. My response was simple .... I would know, and that I knew that every time I was going to visit my father .... his misspelled name would always stick out.

His tombstone was immediately corrected.

As for Sgt. Stephen Hiett Phillips ... he deserves better .... fix his name.

No comments: