Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Marine Blown Up With Her Dog In Afghanistan Now Fighting To Stop The Corps From Putting Him Down

Partners: Leavey is determined to be reunited with military service dog, Rex

'Rex Is My Partner, I Love Him': The Marine Blown Up With Her Dog In Afghanistan Now Fighting To Stop The Corps Putting Him Down -- Daily Mail

A woman who served in Iraq for more than three years is now fighting to adopt the German Shepherd who she survived a roadside bomb with.

As a dog handler for the military, Megan Leavey, 28, completed over 100 missions during two six-month tours in Iraq with the military service dog Rex.

And since being discharged from the military in December 2007 Leavey has campaigned to adopt the bomb-sniffing canine so he can enjoy a civilian life with her in Rockport, New York.

'Rex is my partner; I love him,' Leavey told Msnbc.com 'We have been through so much together … I’ve spent day and night with this dog. It’s a very strong bond.'

Read more ....

Update #1:
Marine and dog bonded by war, divided by red tape -- MSNBC
Update #2: Former Marine lobbies to adopt canine partner -- Marine Times
Update #3: Ex-Marine’s dog of war -- New York Post

My Comment:
As a dog owner for 14 years (I had a border collie), I understand what she feels.

1 comment:

tomorrows old hat said...

Let's save this dog b4 red tape puts him down