Thursday, August 23, 2012

An Embed Is Observing A Worsening Situation In Afghanistan

U.S. Army Cpl. Casey Leimbach and U.S. Army Spc. Timothy Rigg provide security during a patrol to Black Rock in Afghanistan's Khost province, July 31, 2012. Leimbach and Rigg are assigned to 25th Infantry Division's Company A, 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team. Their unit conducted the patrol to investigate an attack to Combat Outpost Bak. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Kimberly Trumbull

I Went Back To Afghanistan With The US Marines And It's Worse There Than Ever -- Business Insider

I spent four years in the Marine Corps covering everything from combat patrols in Iraq to commanding generals cutting ribbons. It was challenging, exciting, life-changing and boring in almost equal measure.

After I'd gotten out and finished my Master's in journalism at NYU, I took what little money I had saved and decided to head to Afghanistan. I needed to go back, I needed to see the guys I knew and remind myself what seemed more real to me than anything else in my life.

So, I did. I got approved to embed with a Marine unit, filled out the paperwork absolving the Corps of my not unlikely demise, and took off for Kabul.

Read more ....

My Comment
: A sobering analysis from one embed on the ground in Afghanistan.

No comments: