Friday, October 5, 2012

The Psychological Toll Of The Iraq And Afghan Wars


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Psychological Toll Of Wars In Afghanistan And Iraq Mounts As Veterans Return Home -- NBC 

Sergeant Louis Loftus first noticed something was wrong when a simple picture brought him to tears. “I came home on mid-tour leave and I was showing some family members pictures of my deployment,” said the veteran, 24, who served in Afghanistan. “And just from seeing a picture that reminded me of something where someone had been killed...right there I just started crying.” By the time he was home from his second deployment he was plagued by a sleep disorder and nightmares, followed by anxiety and the impulse to isolate himself from his loved ones. Eventually he was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Read more ....

My Comment:  I call this the "hidden cost" of war. Unfortunately .... these emotional and psychological scars are going to be with us for a lifetime.

No comments: