Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Watching An American Soldier Die In Afghanistan

A U.S. soldier wounded in battle in Kandahar province is tended to at a military hospital at Kandahar air field. Chris Hondros / Getty Images

Watching An American Soldier Die -- Battleland/Time

I don’t enjoy having conversations about Afghanistan with people who haven’t been there.

It is not that I don’t want to share or help others understand the conflict or my experiences. My issue is that the stories I truly want people to understand are so visceral that words rarely due them justice. Especially when my words fall upon ears that don’t already have some basic connection to this conflict: the ears of someone who has never served in the armed forces, who has no relatives who have been to Afghanistan, who couldn’t find Afghanistan on a map.

The majority of my time in Afghanistan was divided between working hard and doing absolutely nothing.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: Army Captain Mike Barno's blog is here.

No comments: