Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Retired British Surgeon Talks About The Trauma Of Working In A Syrian War Zone

Makeshift hospital: A Syrian nurse treats a patient in the cave turned field hospital, which Paul McMaster describes as 'chaotic, crowded, hot and hectic'

My Battle To Save The Victims Of Syria's Bloody Civil War: The Retired Surgeon Who Spent Five Weeks Operating In A Secret Cave Under Constant Fear Of Rocket Attacks -- Daily Mail

For grandfather Paul McMaster, it was a risk worth taking to save lives - even though he would face mortal danger every day.

The retired surgeon, from Worcester, spent five weeks operating on victims of Syria's civil war in makeshift field hospitals in rebel-held territory.

Here Paul, 70, tells of the trauma of working in a war zone.


In the cramped confines of our dusty chalk cave, deep in the hilly heartland of north-west Syria, our makeshift field hospital was chaotic, crowded, hot and hectic. And all too often awash with blood.

Helicopters hovered low overhead, firing rockets across the remains of the wrecked buildings where the elderly, along with the women and children who hadn’t fled to the refugee camps, cowered in fear.

Read more
....

My Comment
: Dr. Paul McMaster is right about the children .... the most disturbing video that I have seen from the Syrian civil war (and I have seen a lot) involved seriously wounded children in a hospital ward .... and these are just videos .... I am not there. I could only .... correction .... I cannot imagine what it must be like to actually be there.

I bow my head in respect to people like Dr. McMaster .... people like him symbolize the best in humanity.

No comments: