Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Look At The Inside World Of An Ex-Jihadist Afghan Warlord

Haji Mohammad Almas Zahid is one of Kabul's most influential men. The former jihadist warlord offered NBC News a rare glimpse inside his heavily-barricaded home. Wakil Koshar / for NBC News

A Rare Glimpse Inside The World Of An Ex-Jihadist Afghan Warlord -- NBC

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Recalling his battlefield days, ex-jihadist warlord Haji Mohammad Almas Zahid offers up a grisly tour of his scars, souvenirs from a life spent fighting.

"I've got a lot of bullets in my body," the former mujahedeen fighter and Afghan army commander says with spine-chilling seriousness during a rare series of exclusive interviews with NBC News.

"This one is from Taliban," he snarls through gritted teeth, pointing to the right side of his face and the back of his neck, where a round entered and exited, breaking his jaw. "I tilted my head so that my blood would spill onto Afghan soil. I was proud my blood was being shed for my country, while taking it away from the Taliban."

The next stop is a shrapnel wound to his left shoulder, courtesy of the Soviets during his days as a holy warrior.

Sitting in the inner sanctum of his Kabul office, the 53-year-old continues the battered body tour by pointing at his knee.

Read more ....

My Comment: Contrary to what he says .... his loyalty is only to himself .... which is probably why he is still alive today.

No comments: