Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Pentagon Pays $150 Per Gallon For Jet Fuel That Is 'Green'

Report: Pentagon Paid $150 Per Gallon for Green Jet Fuel -- Washington Free Beacon

GAO report notes exorbitant prices act as de facto subsidy for biofuel firms

The Department of Defense (DOD) paid $150 per gallon for alternative jet fuel made from algae, more than 64 times the current market price for standard carbon-based fuels, according to a report released on Wednesday.

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) noted in its report that a Pentagon official reported paying “about $150 per gallon for 1,500 gallons of alternative jet fuel derived from algal oil.”

GAO’s report examined the financial challenges facing increased purchases and use of alternative jet fuels by federal agencies. “Currently, the price for alternative jet fuels exceeds that of conventional jet fuel,” the report noted.

Read more ....

My Comment: Another boondoggle Pentagon program that is (literally) burning money.

4 comments:

James said...

Unnamed Administration and Pentagon officials dismissed several reports F-18A Hornets being overtaken in mid flight by a Lada or Ladas "blinking their headlights and honking their horns" as unsubstantiated and misinformed. One unnamed administration official said "we believe they are using flex-fuel so it's really an apples to orange case that you can'
t compare, but we're looking into it."

War News Updates Editor said...

Sorry James but your intel is wrong. My first car was a Lada. And I know that it does not have a horn, headlights .... and sometimes no brakes.

James said...

"And I know that it does not have a horn, headlights .... and sometimes no brakes." Making the US decline in technology all the more depressing. I bet driving was exciting, requiring a lot of attention. I personally never look where I'm going, I only scare myself.

War News Updates Editor said...

I forgot to mention my old car's heater. The unique thing about the heater in a Lada is that it never works in winter .... but it always works in summer. I could never figure that one out.