Saturday, July 26, 2014

Boycotting Russian Goods Ukrainian Style

Ukrainian singer Irena Karpa wearing a "Don't give it to a Russian" t-shirt. Photo: Facebook

Ukraine In Campaign To Boycott Russian Goods, Restaurants, Sex -- Sydney Morning Herald

War might be at their doorstep but Ukrainian citizens are using a more peaceful style of dissent against Russia.

Across the capital Kiev last weekend, young men and women converged on Russian-owned cafes and restaurants. With each sale, the activists feigned their own death. They held signs that said "Russia kills!" against their chest as they lay prone on the floor.

Each pancake sold they claimed ‘costs’ three lives; a coffee, one life; a cake or a salad two each. “Not too expensive, this Russian food?” the activists asked visitors.

Read more ....

My Comment: On an economic level this protest is having a minimal impact .... but from a PR point of view .... very effective. What is having an impact is a new app that Ukrainians can use in determining if a product is from Russia or not (see below).


7 comments:

James said...

Does this boycott extend to Russian LNG?

James said...

Now it comes to mind, an eastern Joni Mitchell.

War News Updates Editor said...

James .... some of these Ukrainian singers are 100% babes .... and they can sing and dance too. Joni Mitchel they are not.

I am weak for Ani Lorak (she is good friends with my cousin) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jt_ZllVySA

and .... a heavy sighhh ... I would love to know Vera Brezhneva (in this video she sings with Dan Balan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec8Yui1PmTs

Sighhh .... yup .... when I see these videos I get homesick.

James said...

WNU,
You are a dirty old man. Then again this Ms. Brezhneva could be very helpful in working out some Slavic-Irish cultural differences that worry me.......

James said...

I just caught this, is Vera related to Leonid?

War News Updates Editor said...

As I had mentioned a few times before in some blog posts .... I was assigned by my superiors in the mid-1980s to China for an indeterminate time .... China was opening up and the Soviet Union/Kremlin wanted to establish/open up business-economic ties. It was a plum assignment that everyone wanted .... but since I was the only one who had any understanding of capitalism/free markets/etc. in the foreign office .... as well as knowing some rudimentary Mandarin Chinese .... plus some family friends with pull .... I was sent.

It became a 4 year deployment .... an experience of a lifetime. No regrets .... but one. I had to leave my GF behind .... who is a dead-ringer of Ms. Brezhneva.

Knowing what I know now .... I would have never left.

War News Updates Editor said...

Very good James. Vera is related to him. Great uncle. (as you know .... Russian women adopt the "a" at the end of their last name).