Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The U.S. Air War Over Iraq Is Changing

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Lynn Morelly watches bundles of halal meals parachute to the ground from the ramp of a C-17 Globemaster III aircraft during a humanitarian airdrop mission over Iraq, Aug. 9, 2014. Morelly is a loadmaster assigned to the 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Vernon Young Jr.

Iraq Militants Changing Tactics, Complicating US Airstrike Mission -- FOX News

Islamic militant forces in northern Iraq appear to be shifting tactics in the face of the newly launched U.S. airstrike campaign, Defense officials say, posing a new challenge to the Obama administration as it seeks to at least slow the terrorists’ advances.

According to officials, until now the Islamic State (IS) was behaving like a well-organized army, moving with strategic intent and pursuing military objectives. Now, officials are seeing at least a partial shift to classic insurgency tactics, as militants begin to blend in among the population, making targeting more difficult.

“One of the things that we have seen with the [IS] forces is that where they have been in the open, they are now starting to dissipate and to hide amongst the people,” Lt. Gen. William Mayville Jr., director for operations with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said. “The targeting in this is going to become more difficult.”

Read more ....

My Comment:  No one said this was going to be easy.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the writes at SOFREP.com said something to the effect of

'If you have not defeated them in 3 years, you are training them'

If this is true or mostly true, then it is hazardous to go with half measures against a determined foe who you do not eradicate root and branch.

On again off again sanctions against Iran and pinprick strikes against ISIS is just going to enrage them (they got hurt), encourage them (you are not serious about wiping them out) and training them.

I don't have the link to the article, but I know I read it.

Unknown said...

One of the writes at SOFREP.com said something to the effect of

'If you have not defeated them in 3 years, you are training them'

If this is true or mostly true, then it is hazardous to go with half measures against a determined foe who you do not eradicate root and branch.

On again off again sanctions against Iran and pinprick strikes against ISIS is just going to enrage them (they got hurt), encourage them (you are not serious about wiping them out) and training them.

I don't have the link to the article, but I know I read it.

James said...

If I was ISIS, I would go beat on Assad and Hezbollah for awhile and see if the US would bomb them their.

Unknown said...

James, You are right. If ISIS merely held their gains in Iraq but extended them in Syria, Obama would do nothing. He would do his Sargent Schultz routine.

Now he is being frog marched step by step into doing something in Iraq.

War News Updates Editor said...

Sgt. Schultz .... I have not heard his name for a long time. I see nothing. I hear nothing. I say nothing.

James said...

Bonus Question:
Why did the character LeBeau, in Hogan's Heroes always wear long sleeve shirts?

War News Updates Editor said...

You got me there James. I will research for the answer .... and if I do not find it I will be in the begging mode.