Wednesday, September 3, 2014

NATO Wants New Bases, Troops, And Equipment In Eastern Europe To Blunt Russia’s Aggression



NATO Plans New Military Outposts to Stop Putin—Just Don't Call Them Bases -- Eli Lake, Daily Beast

To blunt Russia’s aggression, the Western alliance is considering new bases, new troops, and the economic equivalent of a nuclear bomb. Will the Obama administration go along?

With Russian forces entering into Ukraine, NATO is putting together a plan to place the alliance’s troops in bases behind the former Iron Curtain. One U.S. official who was not authorized to speak to the press said the presence of U.S. troops inside these bases in Poland, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia would act as a “tripwire for Russia. If Putin considers any military action in these countries, they will know that they will be involving U.S. forces too.”

Officially, however, the Obama administration has gone to great pains to explain that the proposed outposts in these Eastern European countries are not bases, per se. “I do not believe we're talking permanent basing,” said Navy Captain Gregory Hicks, who is the spokesman for U.S. European Command. “I believe NATO will be discussing basing for the duration of a level of activity, whether it be an air detachment, ground presence, or port. The discussion is for a persistent rotational presence, it’s not about establishing bases. The concept is to use existing infrastructure to accommodate the training.”

Read more ....

My Comment:
The Russians are all too aware of where this is heading, and are responding accordingly .... Moscow will review its military strategy in face of NATO plan for rapid-reaction force (Washington Post)

6 comments:

James said...

Society breaking down, violence spreading unchecked!
http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/golf-course-putter-assault-687543

War News Updates Editor said...

This is shocking news James .... society is definitely breaking down.

Unknown said...

I have not seen a chart like this since the late 1970s or early 1980s.

I expected to see a lot of things and read a lot of bad news when I came to this blog. It is just the type of subject it is.

I did not expect to see this or want to see it.

My ideal of utopia, stupid as it may be, is to ride a train from London to Beijing traveling through Russia, enjoying the sights without a care in the world.

War News Updates Editor said...

Aizino .... years ago I did the Beijing to Vladivostok flight. From Vladivostok I took the Trans-Siberian Railway to Moscow (that's a long trip). Took my car in Moscow and drove to Volgograd. From Volgograd retraced the route my father took during the Second World War .... which at the end was 30 kilometers west of Berlin. Dumped the car at a scrapyard (it was a Volvo), rented a car .... drove to Paris ... ended up in Bordeaux where I stayed a week tasting wine. Wanted to go to London and then to Dublin .... but I had to fly to my new home in Canada. Met scores of people .... ending a trip that I will never forget.

You are right .... that is Utopia.

James said...

I think utopia means nowhere, cannot exist. Which I think is the real reason More used it as his title for his book.

James said...

Don't get too down Aizino. This why god gave people the abilities to be fertile and forget the past. Anyway it's not like the Mongols are two days away and are killing every living thing in a 200 mile wide swath.