Friday, March 27, 2015

The U.S. Public Message On Yemen Is In Disarray


Zack Beauchamp, VOX: These Obama administration quotes about Yemen are almost too cringe-worthy to read

Yemen is descending into chaos — and the Obama administration's response, at least in its public statements about the crisis, has been a total mess.

The central Yemeni government, which the US had relied on to fight the al-Qaeda branch in Yemen's south, has been deposed by Shia rebels. On March 25, a Saudi-led coalition began bombing those rebels, called the Houthis, in order to stop their advance. Egypt and Saudi Arabia are warning they may invade, and Yemen's president has fled the country.

If this sounds like a disaster, that's because it is. The Obama administration, which just earlier this week was touting its "Yemen model" as a success in counterterrorism strategy, has not been eager to own up to the country's disintegration. And that has come out in a series of muddled, highly cringe-worthy statements given to the press to explain how the US is handling the crisis. It will not leave you feeling confident in the administration's grasp of what to do about Yemen's chaos.


WNU Editor: The quote that is the "Poster Child" to me on how confused the White House is on the Yemen crisis came from the White House Press Secretary two days ago .... White House: Yemen Is Still A Successful Model For Counterterrorism.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WNU,

What is the law concerning political cartoons and use in a blog or a post?

War News Updates Editor said...

Copyright issues is something that I am always following very closely Aizino. That is why I never post pictures from AP. Reuters permits everyone to use their pictures .... as long as there is no profit involved and/or it is used for educational purposes and the proper credit is given .... so that is why I use them. Getty permits certain pictures to be used .... so if I find something that I like, I will then use it if permitted. News services from Russia and China .... they do not care if I use their sources.

When it to comics and political cartoons .... unless stipulated that they cannot be used .... they can be posted as long as the cartoonist is recognized, and no profit is involved. I have actually had requests from cartoonists to use their cartoons .... which I did in a few cases.

As a rule I am always giving credit where credit is due. That is why I go through all the trouble of listing where a link is coming from and/or a picture is being used.

In the past I have had requests from some who did not want me to post a picture and/or a link. In those cases .... I always comply ASAP. The last time this happened to me was last year .... and it involved a graph/table that I used .... even though I gave them credit. I found-out later that they actually wanted me to repost their graph/table but to not hotlink it to them ... apparently the traffic from this site blew up their bandwidth cap. :)

Unknown said...

I asked because I wanted to post the cartoon in a forum and I do not want to get crosswise with the law.

I like linking to WNU, because your site is a great aggregator and I think more people should read it. Also I think James and Jay are good commentators although I do not see eye to eye politically with Jay. He does have experience in tactics (way more than I) and it would be wise to respect that.

The cartoon almost always has the cartoonists name in the cartoon although it is not usually legible.

I went some cartoon syndication site and from what I could gather, you had to pay. I figure you would and should if you published an article for which you got paid and used the cartoon as part of it.

War News Updates Editor said...

There are a number of cartoon syndication sites that you have to pay if you want to use their cartoons .... but in that case you are doing so because you are operating a site that makes money. If you running a site where the profit motive is not the priority ... most cartoonists will not mind if you post their work .... as long as they get the credit. Others will mind ... but they will tell you when you see their work that they do not want you to repost it.

War News Updates Editor said...

I agree with your comment on Jay and James .... their feedback is always appreciated. The sad part of running this blog is the feedback that I get in my email box from people who make the news but do not want me to post their comments in this blog .... some of their analysis or commentary is top notch .... but they do not want me to publicize it. Case in point .... Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dimitry Rogozin was a regular commentator on this blog when he was Russian Ambassador to NATO .... no more now which is sad .... because we had some good discussions and disagreements here.