Sunday, May 3, 2015

This Blogger Was Tear Gassed On Friday



CBC: Dozens arrested in anti-capitalism May Day protest in Montreal

Eighty-four protesters arrested, Montreal police use tear gas to disperse demonstrators and bystanders

Police arrested 84 people, including 27 on criminal charges, and used tear gas to disperse demonstrators at a night-time protest in downtown Montreal organized by a local anti-capitalist group called CLAC.

Hundreds of people gathered at at least three different locations around the city, well before the protests officially got underway at 7 p.m. ET.

The group called on protesters to cause the "maximum disruption possible" to businesses downtown.

However, the majority of the crowd were people carrying anti-austerity messages with no intention of vandalism or violence.

By 7:10 p.m., police had already declared the demonstrations illegal and began ordering protesters to disperse.

As demonstrators moved up McGill College Avenue from de Maisonneuve Boulevard, police began launching rounds of tear gas.


WNU Editor: I was originally going to avoid this story .... but I am still experiencing some lingering effects from the tear-gas (it is probably more psychological than physical) ... and I am also still peeved off with the experience. For those who may not know .... I live on the island of Montreal. I went to see my accountant Friday evening to sign-off on my corporate taxes when I found myself in a melee between police and demonstrators. This was in the downtown core and tear gas was everywhere .... and yes .... I was totally unprepared. The Police were also arresting everybody .... fortunately .... I was ignored (I guess I did not fit their profile ... older white guy dressed casually vs. young guy with hoodie and mask) but for the moment I was filled with dread on being arrested and then finding myself in jail over the weekend explaining to everyone on why I should not be there. Don't laugh .... I actually had that happen to me in Moscow 20 years ago .... an experience that still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sighhh .... I have spent years blogging about the world's trouble spots .... and Montreal is one of the world's safest places .... but sometimes .... even the safe places are touched by chaos.

8 comments:

phill said...

So what kind of socks where you wearing with your flip flops?

Unknown said...

so why were you not going to report on it then its a news worthy story of police brutality

Jay Farquharson said...

WNU Editor,

Drink lots of milk, it helps.

James said...

It has come to my attention that some commentators are making unkind remarks as to WNU's personal attire (good one phill, heh!) please a little decorum.

War News Updates Editor said...

Phill .... if I was wearing the socks and attire that made me famous in China .... the rioters and cops would probably have banded together to chase me out of Montreal in order to keep its reputation as a place of fashion.

I wear teva ... not flip flops (cough cough ... anymore).

I am drinking milk Jay .... took the day off to be with the GF .... but man .... my body does not like what it experienced Friday night.

Peter St. John .... the police were very restrained with the protestors .... especially since many of them were looking to vandalize and to fight.

Jay Farquharson said...

WNU Editor,

Lot's of milk, lots of water, no alcohol,

Depending on the dose you got, it could be up to two weeks before you feel "normal",

You can put alcohol back on the menu in a couple days though.

War News Updates Editor said...

Two weeks .... groan.

I was trying to cross the police/protest line thinking that nothing would happen when BANG .... tear gas everywhere. Left my car in the parking lot and went to a friend who gave me a lift home. I have been trying since then to blog and do other work .... but my body fells like hell and the irritation in my eyes is annoying and distracting.

On a side note Jay .... it appears that you have had some experience .... ouch.

Jay Farquharson said...

Lots of experience with tear gas,

Irrigate your eyes with distilled water a lot,

Cold water was your clothes with a orange oil based cleaner a half a dozen times, keep them in a sealed bag till they are washed, and handle them with latex gloves.

The more you can "flush" your system and not load up your kidneys with toxins, ( red wine, steak, etc), the faster you will return to normal.