Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Return Of A Russian Monster?



BBC: Russian communists look to reinstate 'Iron Felix' statue

When the 11-tonne statue of Soviet secret police chief Felix Dzerzhinsky was toppled in Moscow in 1991 it was seen by many as a symbol of freedom.

Just a few months later, the Soviet Union collapsed.

Although the statue was given a new home in a sculpture park, Russian communists are campaigning for a referendum on returning it to its original spot and are confident they can gather enough support for an official vote.

To his modern-day supporters, Dzerzhinsky was a true patriot.

Update: 'Iron Felix' rears his ugly head in Moscow -- Deutsche Welle

WNU Editor: My Moscow condo is between Red Square and the old KGB building. The idea that some Communists want to put up that old statue makes me sick .... but from what I hear, the city administrators will not permit its return. In the meantime .... putting up plaques and/or memorials to the victims of Communism is a process that takes forever .... Humble Memorials for Stalin’s Victims in Moscow (New Yorker). On a side note .... my condo used to belong to my father's best friend .... he was a ten year old living in that apartment with his parents when the KGB came to take them away (he never saw them again after that). I wanted to put a plaque up to commemorate what happened to them earlier this year .... but it figures .... I needed unanimous consent among the other condo owners, but the one lone old communist who lives in the basement and who brags about the time he served as a lowly security guard under Stalin in the 1940s (he is 95 years old now and who has lived there forever) .... was the one who nixed the plan. On a positive note .... he is 94 .... has no family (and no friends in the building because he never wants to contribute to its upkeep) .... and everyone supports what I want to do. And as I told him earlier this year ... time is on my side, and when he is gone I will make sure of putting an extra  plaque beside his door of the family that lived there in the 1930s .... but who also disappeared in Stalin's gulags in the 1930s.

2 comments:

James said...

WNU,
Good for you! But the old fart's ideology may have more time and legs than you think. Like I've said before, the old monsters are rising up and walking about again.

War News Updates Editor said...

Yes James .... the old demons are waking up. But the idea of Felix Dzerzhinsky being brought back and honored in such a fashion .... my head spins.