Friday, October 2, 2015

The Afghan Army Is Losing Its Best Soldiers

Afghan soldiers stand in formation in Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan, November of 2008. Photo by John Scott Rafoss of the United States of America. Wikipedia

Kevin Sieff, Washington Post: The bravest man I met in Afghanistan has died. Here’s what he taught me.

During weeks like this one, when it seems the gains of the last 14 years are severely under threat in Afghanistan, I think of Afghan Colonel Mohammad Daowood.

For almost two years, I watched Daowood and his men fight insurgents in some of the country’s most dangerous places. They lacked weapons and helicopters and even medical equipment, all the supplies the Americans relied on to fight the same enemy. But Daowood was undeterred in his pursuit of the Taliban. The first day I watched him in a battle, driving without cover deep into insurgent territory, I remember thinking: That's the bravest man I've ever seen.

Daowood was shot and killed earlier this week in Wardak province, the same place where that battle occurred.

WNU Editor: Another sign that the Afghan war is growing.

No comments: