Saturday, August 11, 2018

How Soldiers Learn To Sleep Anywhere

Even if it's in broad daylight on a pile of sharp rocks. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Ken Scar)

We Are The Mighty: How troops learn to sleep anywhere, any how, any way

Sleep is, apparently, one of those things that medical professionals tend to claim is vital to not dying. While in the military, you'll get so little sleep that your body grows accustomed to functioning at a high level with just four hours of non-continuous sleep.

For one reason or another, putting aside large chunks of time for that vital sleep just doesn't happen. So, troops quickly learn how to rack out at the drop of a dime while smothered in their gear. Or they find a nice, cozy spot underneath a HUMVEE in the glaring Afghan sun with only their rifle and pebbles to keep them comfy.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: There was a time in my life when I was busy 24/7, and yes, I mastered the art of being able to fall asleep in a minute, and being able to sleep anywhere. I still can do it, and the GF who always has trouble falling asleep hates me for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember falling asleep in the back seat of a two seat FA-18 on a cross country and the g suit was broken and my resting pulse at the time was 48....the front pilot came into the break at 7.5 g's......it woke me up but when I opened my eyes I could not see from grey out, and couldn't remember where I was until I heard the gear coming down! Hard work makes deep sleep.

Alex said...

Anon - that's quite a story!

War News Updates Editor said...

wow!!!