Monday, April 27, 2020

China Has Nationalized Mask And PPE Manufacturers


Forbes: China Has ‘Nationalized’ Its N95 Mask Makers

China has ‘nationalized’ the big N95 mask manufacturers, making it harder for buyers here to get their hands on a product that, once again, China dominates, says a big U.S. importer.

“All of our orders, for millions of N95 masks, were canceled last week,” says Leo Friedman, CEO of iPromo in Chicago, who has been importing tens of millions of masks all month. “They were for hospitals and state governments. We told them last week that we can’t get them.”

iPromo is known for making branded giveaway goods seen at trade shows, or other corporate ‘swag’. The company shifted to servicing those clients with medical-related goods, from surgical masks to face shields and anti-bacterial gel in order to stay in business as the trade show market collapsed in the pandemic.

Read more ....

Update: China Reportedly Takes Control of Mask Production After Numerous Countries Complain of Faulty Exports (Newsweek).

WNU Editor: When I first learned about the possibility of a pandemic in January, I immediately bought ten 3M N95 masks, 50 surgical masks, and 50 surgical gloves for myself. I tried again at the beginning of February, but there was no longer any left to buy in Montreal. The only thing that I was able to score were 50 (one-use) masks, but they only provide minimal protection. By then I knew this was going to be a global problem, so I helped my family in Russia to arrange shipments of PPE equipment from China to go to the hospital in my mother's home town 100 km west of Moscow. The hospital received it only a few weeks ago, and are now using it to not only provide care in their place, but to two other hospitals in neighbouring towns. I tried to arrange the same thing with my family in Ukraine in early March, but I was told by my own contacts in China that it was no longer possible. The manufacturers were hopelessly behind in their contracts, and they warned me that there was a very good chance that the Chinese government was going to seize these supplies because they want to control it. Two weeks ago they called and told me that this is what had happened. Everything has been taken over by the Central Government. No one should not be surprised. PPE equipment has become the world's most valuable product, and Beijing knows too well that the value of PPEs are only going to increase with time. This pandemic is nowhere near over, and as countries look for ways to lift restrictions to get the economy going again, this is Beijing's way of having leverage. Leverage that is clearly working .... EU Report On China's Covid-19 Disinformation Campaign Is Dropped After Beijing Threatened 'Repercussions' (April 26, 2020).

Update: A personal story. A couple of weeks ago I asked a contact in Taiwan and a contact in South Korea if they could ship me some masks. My contact in Taiwan sent me ten 95N masks and 50 surgical masks, and if my tracking information is correct, I should be receiving it at the end of this week. My contact in South Korea sent me fifty N95 masks, 200 surgical masks, and 200 gloves. I was very happy to hear that he was able to scrounge that for me. My intent is to not to profit from this. I have more than enough for my own protection, I just want to give this equipment to my neighbours and friends who have none. In my part of Canada these items are like gold, and IMHO this is a great way to help your neighbours and friends. Sighhhh .... I learned on Friday that my shipment is at Canada customs in Vancouver, and I will need a license to bring this stuff in. The license application is almost 20 pages long, and it will take some time to process it. If the virus will not kill you, the bureaucracy definitely will.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking this move by China is going to cause even more post-virus motivation to remove them from the global supply chains. I did not trust them before this outbreak and this just confirms that my view was correct.

Anonymous said...

WNU,

Why do you need a license?

I understand government needs some amount of revenue. No revenue, no function, no government except on paper or in concept. It would be like being a Merovingen king when the Mayor actually has the power. Of course Merovingen sounds really, really cool to watchers and lappers up of The Matrix. So there is that.

An N95 mask is made out of polypropylene. So there than the government taking a small percentage to keep the lights on and staff paid and to prevent Chinese scientists from running vials of virus undeclared through customs, what is the point? What is the point except for the people at the top levels of government telling you to sit, lay down, roll over, paw?

However, polypropylene is a polymer, so the government should have forms to fill out, because polypropylene is radioactive, poisonous, contagious or something.

Anonymous said...

www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-masks-explained

Anonymous said...

If N95 masks are pout of stock, why not pick up A95 or B95 masks?

Why not pick up a N96 mask, a Joe Biden Special?

Anonymous said...

Whatever plusses or minuses their equipment may have the Chinese government has publicly taken ownership.

Anonymous said...

N95 masks are made out of polypropylene. With all this knowledge for advanced manufacturing, supply chains and cheap workers brought in as H2B workers, general lottery or by a nonprofit so useless fuck can be paid, we cannot make those masks in the US.

Polypropylene is made out of oil. We have plenty of oil in the US. We have refineries in the US. All you need to do is send the process oil to a factory in the US make the masks and have an 18 wheelers deliver it. You cut out the shipping line.

Maybe it is more than rent that is too damn high. Maybe taxes are too damn high.

Energy input is thew key ingredient in underlying prosperity & GDP growth. I say taxes are the key ingredient to the cost of living going up. It goes u and now there are more people needing government help. So government raises taxes again. Then even more people need help. it is a death spiral.

Laraib said...

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. visit us NavMed Supply