Saturday, July 31, 2021

Why Do Nuclear Bombs Form Mushroom Clouds?

 

Live Science: Why do nuclear bombs form mushroom clouds?  

What forms this iconic shape? 

When a bomb goes off, energy is shot out indiscriminately in all directions. So, instead of an expanding ball of fire, why do nuclear explosions result in mushroom clouds? 

Although the outburst of energy does initially form a sphere of hot air, that's only the beginning of the story, according to Katie Lundquist, a researcher of computational engineering at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California. Because hot air rises, the larger bulk of the sphere in the middle column — where the core of an apple would be — experiences more buoyancy than the edges do.  

Read more ....  

WNU Editor: This is one of those things that I hope I never see or experience in my lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why not. The Soviets threatened so much with yelling "We will bury you", I am inured to the prospect of nuclear war.



"We will bury you!" (Russian: «Мы вас похороним!», romanized: "My vas pokhoronim!") is a phrase that was used by Soviet First Secretary Nikita Khrushchev while addressing Western ambassadors at a reception at the Polish embassy in Moscow on November 18, 1956.

Things looked hopeful in the 1990s, but between the Russians fucking with us. Democrats The Chinese being bellicose and the Iranian being chuckleheads, the old feeling is back. Just what the Ministry of Truth ordered; the 1990s were a fluke.

[Verse 1]
In Europe and America
There’s a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mr. Khrushchev said we will bury you
I don’t subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

[Verse 2]
How can I save my little boy
From Oppenheimer's most deadly toy
There is no monopoly of common sense
On either side of the political fence

[Chorus 1]
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

[Verse 3]
There is no historical precedent
To put the words in the mouth of the president
There’s no such thing as a winnable war
It’s a lie we don’t believe anymore
Mr. Reagan says we will protect you
I don’t subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

[Chorus 2]
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us me and you
Is if the Russians love their children too


https://genius.com/Sting-russians-lyrics


Khrushchev was better than Stalin? He murdered so many Ukrainians in the late 40s and early 50s.

He murdered so many that other Soviets complained and to ensure his ascendency he had to give Crimea to Ukraine.

Khrushchev is long since dead and we are still stuck with the fuck in 2014.