Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Ukrainian Soldiers Describe The Eastern Front As 'Hell On Earth'

WNU Editor: This AP report is a must read .... ‘Hell on earth’: Ukrainian soldiers describe eastern front (AP). It validates what all of my family, friends and contacts in Ukraine have been telling me since the fall of Mariupol in May.

All of this reminds me of my father's Second World War stories. He served in the Soviet army, and because his university education was in mathematics, they made him a commander of an artillery unit. 

The tactics as explained by my father that the Soviets used to defeat the German army are the same tactics that the Russian army is using today. Encircle the enemy in a cauldron, and then obliterate them with artillery. Move in to claim the rubble, and then repeat. 

The Germans were not equipped to fight such a war, and their casualties exploded when the Soviets started to use this tactic from 1943 on. And as for Soviet casualties, they dropped significantly, especially since German artillery could not match or have the range of Soviet artillery and rocket systems. I still remember my father telling me that during this phase of the war his biggest fear was not German artillery, but being caught in a friendly fire incident with Soviet artillery. 

There is another tactic that the Russians are using that the Soviets used in defeating the German army. In the Second World War the primary focus of the Soviet army after Stalingrad was to destroy the German army. Gaining territory was secondary. I am now seeing history being repeated in this war. In this current war the Russian army is taking and giving up territory constantly. And while Ukraine claims each taking back of territory as a victory, the fact is that they are losing elsewhere. Case in point. Putting the Ukraine flag up at Snake Island does not match losing Lysychansk and the thousands of Ukrainian soldiers who were killed/wounded/or captured in that battle.

This is why Ukraine must shift their war strategy on holding territory. I can understand why Ukraine does not want to cede territory, but they are losing men and resources needlessly. The Russian military is not focused on territory, their focus is on destroying the Ukraine army while minimizing their own loses. I do not think I have to remind anyone that in the end it is the army that is left standing that will win.

No comments: