Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Turkey's Opposition Are Pessimistic That They Can Defeat Erdogan In The Upcoming Runoff Election

Opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu intends to run a more hard-edged campaign ahead of the second round © BULENT KILIC  

Washington Post: Turkish opposition, trailing Erdogan, faces hard post-election truths 

 ISTANBUL — Two days had passed since Turkey’s landmark election and Gokce Sari, a 24-year-old supporter of the opposition, was still processing defeat, with her candidate badly trailing President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the first round of voting. 

“I’m hopeless. Sometimes I’m angry,” she said. But it was a deeper realization that haunted her, with the results for parliament and president showing that parties that did not reflect her worldview, and voters who did not share her priorities, held more sway than she had imagined. 

“I don’t appear to understand my society,” she said. “My hope hindered my understanding of the reality, of how degraded and ignorant our society has become.”  

Read more ....  

Update #1: Turkey’s opposition faces an uphill battle in runoff with Erdogan (CNN) 

Update #2: Turkey's opposition plots fightback against Erdogan (AFP)  

WNU Editor: I do not see a pathway for Turkey's opposition to win the second run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good. he's grown on me