Thursday, August 31, 2023

Editor's Note

In the past year some readers have asked me why have I cut down on my postings. 

The reason why is simple. 

About ten years ago my mother was diagnosed with dementia. She is now 97, and her dementia is at level 6 (out of 7 levels). 

We made the decision to take care of her at my home, and the journey has been very rough. 

The past year has been especially difficult, and she is now entering the last stages of her life. 

She can be gone tonight. Or she can still be here next year. Only God knows when that will happen.

I am a person who has multiple obligations and responsibilities. Juggling my time and focus has been difficult.

I love posting my thoughts and observations on WNU. The feedback that I get is the bonus.

But there is only so many hours in a day. I post when I can, and when I cannot you will now know why.

Update: Thank you for the many kind comments. 

The picture of my mom below was taken two weeks ago. The drawing on her upper right was done when she was 19 years old. The picture beside that sketch is her granddaughter.

She has lived an incredible life. Those who know her best describe her as Russia's "Forrest Gump". All that I can say is that the people that she has met in her incredibly long life is jaw dropping. And yes .... everyone loves her. The common phrase that I always hear from those who meet her is that she is "so cute". :)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog and we are all grateful for the time you spend on it! Our prayers for your mother and family, may the Lord bring you peace.

Anonymous said...

I still click the bookmark 3 times a day even if I know you said that blogging won't return until tomorrow.

BlackJack06 said...

Sir, first - thank you for your blog. You are my first news read of the day.

My wife and I took care of my father-in-law (dementia and Parkinson's) for 10 years. I know how much of a challenge it is. It's also the greatest gift a child can give, beyond perhaps grandchildren. When your mother's journey is done, she will be at peace. So will you, for you will have done something very few people can - or want - to do.

Caecus said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

God bless you sir. Always enjoy your blog and comments. All the best to your family

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us informed. Praying for strength for you and peace and comfort for your Mother

Anonymous said...

👍

Anonymous said...

Love this blog, it’s my favourite news source

RussInSoCal said...

Yes, thanks to WNU for providing this platform. And best wishes to WNU and his family.

Matthew Putnam said...

You'll wish you spent more time with her in hindsight, just remember that before it is too late. Put in the time that is required of you and that you need; no one is entitled to your efforts here on a blog. Ive been a daily reader of your blog morning and evening since 2009 as part of my research routine. I appreciate all your work, but dont ask you to put me ahead of your family and personal life. Ill take what I can get as far as your contributions are concerned. Do not feel guilty at all, most of us will be here whenever you have time.

Fred said...

You are a good son. My heart goes out to you. I have lost 3 friends these past few years to dementia, and I understand how difficult it is to have to deal with those suffering from that disease.
I enjoy your site, and have come to know many nice people who are courteous and respectful even if our attitudes on some issues are not the same.
thanks for the work you do.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have support. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Please take care of your mother. I know how much I value WNU and appreciate you continue to build an excellent product while balancing something so important.

Many thanks.

Ben said...

My mother is in much the same situation at 95 and we do what we can for her. It's not easy and as a long-time reader of your blog, I feel that I've been blessed to get to know you and your family a bit. Thank you for sharing the photos.

B.Poster said...

I went through dementia with my dad for many years before he passed away in February 2021. While each situation is unique, I know how difficult this is. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

First time I see a post like this a cute picture, really we just have to be thankful for Life.

georgeP said...

RUSSIANS...SERIOUS PEOPLE...
MY PRAYERS FOR YOUR MOTHER...

DinoB said...

May God bless you, your family and your mom. Its awesome what you do for her.
Positive Energy your way.

Young Communist said...

I have to thanks this blog for the information on war, and I know a bit how your difficulty. My foster mother has passed more than 7 years ago after a brief period of 3 months the cancer reach his brain, at age of 86.

Is hard before, and later.
May yours have good time togheter, remember her best teachings and bring them allways with you.

oldfatslow said...

Very sorry to hear this about your mother. No easy decisions.

Nicolas Darkwater said...

Bless you and best wishes for your family. I depend on you and your reportage, but we understand that your family comes first.

Gadfly Speck said...

Psalm 88 might have been written about dementia. It speaks of the “land of forgetfulness.” Though she may not remember, she has a good son who remembers her. In all the meaning of remember.