Saturday, March 3, 2012

An On The Ground Report On the Brutality Of The Falklands War



A Very Dirty War: British Soldiers Shot Dead By Enemy Troops Waving The White Flag And Argentinian Prisoners Bayoneted In Cold Blood. An Ex-Para Tells Of The Horrors Of The Falklands -- Daily Mail

In this brutally candid series, ex-Para Tony Banks tells of his emotional journey from battlefield atrocities to forgiveness and redemption.

The Falklands War was short, sharp and very nasty. The fighting I experienced as a young soldier in the Parachute Regiment was, at times like something out of World War I. We fought at close quarters, clearing trenches of Argentinian troops with bayonets and grenades.

I saw close friends killed and mutilated, crying for their mothers as the life ebbed from them. I witnessed wounded and badly burned men writhing, screaming in agony.

Read more ....

My Comment: When the war broke out, I asked my father (a vet from the Second World War) who did he think was going to win. His answer was very quick .... the British. The reason why .... after centuries of conflict the British knew what war was all about, and their soldiers were trained accordingly. The Argentinians had nowhere near the same type of training, and were not prepared mentally and through their training for such a conflict. After reading this Daily Mail article, I have a better understanding on what my father was thinking 30 years ago.

No comments: