Monday, June 17, 2013

Did Russian President Putin "Steal" A Super Bowl Ring?



Kraft: Putin Stole Bowl Ring -- New York Post

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft revealed the real story behind a 2005 meeting with Vladimir Putin, during which the Russian president pocketed his Super Bowl ring, worth more than $25,000. Kraft, at the time, claimed the diamond-encrusted bauble was a gift, but he now admits Putin stole it, and the White House intervened when he demanded it back.

Kraft explained the incident happened while Sandy Weill and other business execs were in St. Petersburg. “I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring,’ ” Kraft told the crowd at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala at the Waldorf-Astoria.“I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.”

Read more ....

Update: Putin refutes Kraft's Super Bowl ring story: report -- New York Post

My Comment: He (New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft) was an idiot to flash it. My regular readers know that my nationality is Russian and I do visit the old homeland often. I do not own any jewellery ... with the exception of one piece .... a gold Rolex watch that a girlfriend gave to me a long time ago. I went to Russia only once with this watch, and on that trip I almost lost it on two occasions .... not from a crook on the street, but from a Russian Orthodox Bishop and later from a Deputy mayor of St. Petersburg who both tried the same stunt that Putin did .... put it on and walk away believing (at least to themselves) that it is a gift. Needless to say that they did not succeed  because I stood my ground .... but New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft did not. (must have been because of the bodyguards).

No comments: