Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Why Putin Is Still Liked In Russia

Putin on horseback in southern Siberia's Tuva region (Reuters)

Why Putin Is Still So Popular In Russia -- Christopher Read, The Atlantic

Russians seem to prefer a strong, authoritarian state to the weak government and economic chaos they experienced under Yeltsin.

Vladimir Putin gets a bad press outside Russia. From the cases of Alexander Litvinenko, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, or Pussy Riot to the sponsoring of laws against gay "propaganda", he is usually cast in a dark role. Those not warning the world about him are mocking a sometime martial artist, submariner, and lover of tiger encounters.

Of late, the rhetoric and editorializing have been reminiscent of the Cold War. The Russian president's defiance of the U.S. over Edward Snowden, allowing the digital defector to remain at Moscow's Sheremetevo Airport for more than a month as the White House fumes impotently and his stance over Syria has led to an anti-Putin frenzy in the Western media.

Read more ....

My Comment: Regular readers of this blog know that my nationality is Russian .... and I live in Canada. I am now a Canadian citizen, but I do go back and forth to the old country on a regular basis. The only reason why I am not there permanently is because there is no proper legal structure to protect small time entrepreneurs like myself. Case in point .... my dream has always been to open a world class golf resort outside of Moscow. I raised the capital and assembled the property to build it .... even convincing two "oligarchs" to come on board .... but on the eve of starting the project the problems started. Who has proper title over the land .... zoning laws .... people trying to muscle in .... inflated costs .... etc.etc.etc.. In the end .... no money lost .... but no golf course.

This is not Putin's fault .... but unlike his predecessor Medvedev .... he is in no rush to establish a proper legal structure for someone like me .... and while I am disappointed in him, I also do acknowledge that he is still immensely liked in Russia. Case in point .... my aunt. Before Putin came to power her pension was erratic, she lived in a small 1 1/2 apartment, she was always worried about tomorrow. Now .... because of Putin .... her generous pension is always paid on time, she lives in a brand new and modern 4 1/2, and her needs and wants are always being met. In short .... she is no longer worried. In return .... Putin will always get her vote and the vote of all of her friends in the nice and safe apartment complex that she now lives in. Sighhhh .... as a Putin critic .... how can I argue against that.

No comments: