Thursday, February 20, 2014

U.S. Navy SEALS Love The Swiss Army Knife

Wenger RangerGrip 75 130 mm (5.1 in) Swiss army knife. Wikipedia

Swiss Army Knife Key To Navy SEALs' Survival Kit -- USA Today

How valuable is a Swiss Army knife?

Well, the Navy SEALs, perhaps the military's most elite fighting force, puts the knife at the top of its wish list for survival kits to be issued to its members.

A solicitation for survival kits released this week by the U.S. Special Operations Command lists a variety of tools needed for people stuck in the wild trying to survive. This 31-item, "worst-case scenario" kit includes the following:

• Swiss Army knife. First developed by Swiss knife maker Karl Elsener in 1884 for his nation's army, the knife has been a standard item in any outdoors enthusiast's tool kit. New versions have included USB flash drives and cellphones.

Read more ....

My Comment: I have gone through three Swiss Army Knifes in the past 20 years. One I lost, one I gave to my friend's oldest son, and the last one has been with me for ten years. If there is a tool that you must carry with on a camping trip or trekking/hiking in the woods .... this is a must tool.

No comments: