Tuesday, October 10, 2017

California's Wine Country Is On Fire



SFGate: 10 dead as Wine Country fires burn at least 1,500 structures, force evacuations

A swarm of fires supercharged by powerful winds ripped through Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino counties Monday, killing at least 10 people, injuring dozens of others, destroying more than 1,500 homes and businesses, and turning prominent wineries to ash.

Starting in the middle of the night, the fires hopscotched across neighborhoods, raced across fields and jumped freeways. Wind gusts up to 70 mph pushed walls of flames nearly 100 feet high, throwing embers ahead like hot fingers into strip malls and subdivisions. Many people who fled the surge had enough time to grab car keys, perhaps a pet, but not much more.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: A few weeks after 9/11 I went to visit my brother in California (he lives in San Mateo). He took me on a tour of wine country in Napa and Sonoma, and I fell in love with the region right away. When I came back home to Montreal I could not get Napa out of mind .... so 3 months later I was back in California and I started to look for homes in Napa. A place to call home during winter. Found an incredible property off Silverado Trail that also had a few acres of grapes. I liked the price and terms .... went back to Montreal to arrange the money but on my way back I learned my father had a stroke. It changed everything .... and I stayed in Montreal. But Napa and Sonoma have always been on my mind, traveling there many times over the years, even convincing the GF a few weeks ago that our next trip will be to NAPA. Tonight .... everything that I love about Napa and Sonoma is on fire. Sighhhh. My prayers are for those who are suffering tonight.

More News On The State Of Emergency For Northern California

At least 10 dead, 1,500 structures lost in Northern California firestorm, among worst in state's history -- L.A. Times
At least 10 dead as fires rage in California wine country -- AP
Napa fire evacuees tell of fleeing for their lives in the middle of the night -- Napa Valley Register
Fast-moving wildfires kill 10, spur evacuations in Northern California -- CNN
Photos show how wildfires are ravaging parts of California's wine country -- Business Insider

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all the talk about establishing a colony on Mars (Musk), I really think we should focus on getting this planet right first -- sure, we can reach Mars, and have done so before, and I am all for establishing a colony, but ffs we can't even put out large wildfires yet. Can we put some governmental incentives into this? Because we have all these subsidies for Tesla and Space X - and they are great - but what about subsidies for companies who want to actually save people and entire areas from burning down, here on Earth?

Anonymous said...

I was just up there this weekend for my nephews wedding, his new in laws house burned down, the father in law is a retired coast guard rescue swimmer, lost everything including all of his service memorabilia, really sad.

War News Updates Editor said...

My brother's wedding reception was help in Sonoma. I can only pray that winery is still standing.