Saturday, April 18, 2020

Editor's Note

Travelling back to Montreal today to check up on the house, pick up the mail, etc.. Blogging will return later today.

Update 18:45 EST: After spending almost a month in the woods, it was surreal to leave the chalet and drive back into Montreal (it's a two hour drive). First thing I noticed was that gas is cheap (a third off from the usual price), and with the exception of a lot of police cars, there was little if any traffic on the highway. When I got to the suburb where I live, I saw a lot of line-ups in front of the supermarkets and pharmacies. Physical distancing is clearly enforced. Went into a fruit and vegetable store that I like, and noticed that prices have gone up a lot since my last visit 4 weeks ago (about 30%). Everyone in the store was aggressive. There was no chatter. Just go in, get your stuff, and get out ASAP. Got a lot of stares because I was wearing a 3M N95 mask. Two customers asked me where did I get mine. Told them the truth. Got a whole bunch in February because I was expecting this. 90% of the customers and none of the staff had any protection. I was in and out under 15 minutes, and got home in about 10 minutes. I was definitely relieved to get back home. I live in front of the Saint Lawrence river, and across the street from my home there is a popular bike path that runs along the river. I saw a lot of couples and families walking together, and a lot bicyclists. Again. No one wearing any masks. My neighbours are telling me that everyone is OK. No one is sick. But they all know someone who is. I have a lot of the usual mail. Otherwise no surprises. It is almost as if I had never left. Happy to be in my man-cave right now. Regular blogging will be returning within the hour. Will be staying here until Tuesday. Tomorrow is Russian Orthodox Easter, and Monday is my mother's 94th birthday. I expect a lot of phone calls. Will be back up north on Tuesday. I found myself limited in my blogging when I was up north. Had only one computer to do everything, and because of that I estimate my productivity dropped to around 30%. Bringing my best system and a back-up system this time around. I have reluctantly accepted the fact that quarantines and restrictions are going to be a part of everyone's life until mid-summer (or longer).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

80% of Restaurants Say They May Not Reopen — 11 Million Jobs on the Line — While Pelosi Sits at Home with Her Chocolates, Refuses to Approve More Loan Money

RussInSoCal said...

I can appreciate the empty roads and highways. We're seeing some greatly reduced traffic here too. Spring rains have left the rolling, hilly countryside a beautiful green. A wet spring in SoCal is a pretty sight.

The drive down from the mountains must have been enjoyable. I have no idea what type of car you have, but seems a fast pace would have been optimal. The police here have virtually stopped enforcing the speed limits.

/So when I climb into my weekend toy (Maserati GT Sport) its just a necessity to stretch it out a bit ;)


QUARANTINED,
140MPH,

R,

copley7 said...

celebrated my mothers 91st on Easter Sunday on ZOOM. Depressiing. Happily I am well stocked in New Hampshire for several months.