Sunday, August 2, 2020

Will Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko Be Defeated When Voters Go To The Polls On August 9?





NPR: A 37-Year-Old Opposition Candidate Challenges The Longtime Leader Of Belarus

In Belarus, a 37-year-old political novice is giving Europe's longest-serving leader a run for his money.

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya is challenging Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, 65, in an unexpectedly contentious election set for Aug. 9.

An English translator and mother of two, Tikhanovskaya decided to run after her husband, a popular blogger, was jailed in May.

"I don't need power, but my husband is behind bars," Tikhanovskaya told a giant campaign rally in the capital Minsk on Thursday. "I've had to hide my children. I'm tired of putting up with it. I'm tired of being silent. I'm tired of being afraid."

Read more ....

WNU Editor: Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko is a master at fixing elections. I do not think he is going to be defeated by these challengers.

More News On The Belarus Presidential Election

Belarus presidential elections: Meet the three women teaming up to take on 'Europe's last dictator' -- Euronews
Belarus activist challenges 'Europe's last dictator' in election -- Al JAzeera
Is this the beginning of the end for ‘Europe’s last dictator’? -- Andrew Roth, The Guardian
Lukashenko is playing games to keep his grip on power -- DW