Monday, January 17, 2022

A Year After Arrest, Russian Opposition Leader Navalny Says He Has No Regrets On Returning To Russia

 

RFE: A Year After Arrest, Russia's Navalny Says He Has No Regrets 

Aleksei Navalny says he has no regrets and has called on his supporters not to be "afraid," a year to the day the opposition politician was detained after returning to Russia from Germany where he was recovering from a near-fatal poisoning.

"I sided with those honest people who do not want to be, or cannot be, scared any more. I did it, I don't regret it for a second, and I will continue doing it," Navalny, who is serving time in an old embezzlement case that is widely considered as being politically motivated, said in a post on Instagram on January 17. 

"Having served my first year in prison, I want to tell everyone exactly what I shouted to those gathered outside the court when a convoy led me to a police van: Don't be afraid of anything," the vocal critic of President Vladimir Putin said. 

Read more ....  

Update #1: Alexei Navalny says he has 'no regrets' 1 year since arrest (DW)  

Update #2: EU calls on Russia to release Navalny one year after arrest (The Hill)  

WNU Editor: I said a year ago that it was a mistake for Navalny to return to Russia. It looks like his supporters are beginning to realize that also .... One Year After His Arrest, Russia's Opposition Asks: Was Navalny's Return A Mistake? (RFE).

No comments: