Saturday, September 9, 2017

A Look At Moscow And How Much It Has Changed Over The Centuries

November 7, 1941. Soviet troops parade past the Kremlin and march on to the front line. TASS/Samary Gurary/TASS

Oleg Yegorov, Russia Beyond The Headline: Moscow turns 870: how the white-stoned Third Rome changed over centuries

It started as a small village located deep on the East European Plain. Today, 870 years later, Moscow is one of the largest European capitals, with a population of 12 million. Here is a list of the most important events in the long history of Russia’s capital.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: I go to Russia at least 2 times a year .... Saint Petersburg still has its old city charm .... but Moscow is changing all the time. I have a lot of Moscow pictures back in Russia .... so on my next trip I will scan the old ones and show how much the city has changed over the years by comparing it with some new pictures. As for the picture below, I have posted it before but that was taken on Red Square a few days before the parliament building was bombed by the military in 1993. They had closed off Red Square and I was with my cousin about to see my uncle. My mother took that picture thinking it would be the last time that she would see me. And yes .... that is a United Nations ICAO hat that I am wearing .... which helped me more than once to cross roadblocks and checkpoints without any problems. One of many reasons why I am always hesitant to diss the UN.

Sighhhh .... I look so young in that picture.

7 comments:

RussInSoCal said...

Summer 1993 I was in Boulder, Colorado chasing random CU sorority girls.

fiff said...

Is ICAO what brought you to Montreal?

War News Updates Editor said...

fiff
My father was in Montreal years before. But in the end .... yes .... it was my choice to be posted in Montreal.

Carl said...

Is that Lenin's tomb behind you just to your left? I understand there's a big debate on whether or not to give Lenin a proper burial.

War News Updates Editor said...

Carl,
Yes it is Lenin's tomb. And the debate on what to do with Lenin continues.

Crusader said...

Finally, after all these years following WNU, I see a photo of The Man himself! Additionally, when I read your comments the voice I hear you talk in is similar to Sean Connery in Red October.

War News Updates Editor said...

Crusader,
LOL
You are closer to the truth than you think.

I made a conscious effort about 25 years ago to get rid of my "Russian accent" when I speak English .... and I have somewhat succeeded. As a result .... people who do not know me think I am a Canadian/American .... but whose English is sometimes off. But when I am tired that accent does return. Also .... when I ask people who do not know me on what do they think my nationality is .... 80% of the time I am pegged as someone from central Europe .... specifically Switzerland. LOL. Go figure.